Building on the success of our London-based studies, we are excited to offer travel studies that place participants in locales that reflect and contextualize the literature. Journeying together to beautiful sites, the London Lit Salon retreat offers a more intensive immersion in the book while opening the mind to a part of the world illuminated through the beauty of the language.
Past and upcoming retreats include:
- Reading the Body in Umbria: (29 May – 5 June, 2021) Combining the expansive yoga practice of Jackie Seigler with Toby facilitating Henry James’ A Portrait of a Lady and The Silent Duchess by Dacia Maraini
- Virginia Woolf in St Ives: (29 September – 3 October, 2021) A five-day course based in St Ives that includes a boat trip to the Godrevy Lighthouse, a luxurious stay in local B&Bs and an informal tour of Woolf’s family holiday home, Talland House
- Weekend studies in Valencia Spain (November 2019) gave us the opportunity to discover contemporary Spanish writing: Javier Marías’ A Heart So White
- The second Greek Odyssey study for May 2020 considered Homer’s epic poem to consider closely the guest-host relationship, the defining struggle of humans against overwhelming nature, the struggle to know ourselves in foreign spaces, our understanding of the heroic and the role of myth and epic in lived experience
- Henry James in Rye—The Ambassadors with a visit to the Henry James house and immersion in the medieval town that inspired his work (mid-May 2020)
Participant reflection on the first Odyssey May 2019:
“And it was such stirring stuff! It transformed The Odyssey from ever so slightly a form of homework, the better to get to grips with Ulysses, into an unexpectedly powerful, truly immersive and poetic experience – a fascinating study in its own right.”
Can’t find what you’re looking for?
Would you like to study something else? Have a look at our past salons to see what events we have run previously.
Or do you have a suggestion for a salon? We’d love to hear your ideas. Please let us know.